Yuqing Ren is an Associate Professor of Information and Decision Sciences and the Mary and Jim Lawrence Fellow at the Carlson School of Management. She holds a Ph.D. from Carnegie Mellon University. Ren's research focuses on the design and management of information technologies to promote meaningful social connections and effective collaboration. Her research interests are business use of social media, online community design, distributed collaboration, knowledge management, and computational modeling of social and organizational systems. Ren's research on online community design and Wikipedia collaboration has been funded by National Science Foundation. Her work has been published at Human-Computer Interaction, Information Systems Research, Journal of Management Studies, Journal of MIS, Management Science, MIS Quarterly, Organization Science, Organization Studies, The Academy of Management Annals, and the proceedings of AOM, CSCW, HICSS, ICIS, and SIGCHI. Ren has been serving as a Senior Editor and Diffusion Editor for Organization Science since 2016. She has also served as an Associate Editor for Management Science (Information Systems Department) from 2015 to 2017. Ren also served on the editorial board of Organization Science from 2008 to 2016.
Recent Updates (October 2017):
Recent Updates (October 2017):
- 10/02/17: I visited the School of Business at Stevens Institute of Technology.
- 09/25/17: I visited the Department of Management Science at the University of Waterloo.
- 08/19/17: My second Ragnar Relay of 200.3 miles from Winona, MN to the East Bank of University of Minnesota (my share was 12.7 miles :-). Here are some pictures of me and my Northern Star Running Team.
- 08/08/17: I attended the Academy of Management Annual Conference in Atlanta, GA. Very honored to receive the Organization Science Service Award. My Wikipedia research paper was nominated for the Best Conference Paper award.
- 06/25/17: I attended the 11th China Summer Workshop on Information Management in Nanjing, China. My paper on Wikipedia subgroup dynamics was nominated for the Best Paper award.
- 4/30/17: We had a nice gathering at CRAVE Galleria to celebrate my tenure and promotion. Thank all of my dear colleagues - faculty, staff, and PhD students - who attended and helped make this a very memorable day for me. Here is our group picture.
- 4/24/17: Our paper titled "Mind the Gap: Accounting for Measurement Error and Misclassification in Variables Generated via Data Mining" and co-authored with Mochen Yang, Gedas Adomavicius, and Gordon Burtch has been accepted by Information Systems Research.
- 4/21/17: I visited the Sam M. Walton College of Business at University of Arkansas and had a great time touring the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art. Highly recommend it!
- 1/30/17: Honored and humbled to receive the Mary and Jim Lawrence Fellowship from my school.
- 11/18/16: I visited the Desautels Faculty of Management at McGill University.
- 11/03/16: I visited the Robert H. Smith School of Business at University of Maryland.
- 09/30/16: I am very honored to receive the Carlson School of Management Outstanding Teaching Award.
- 09/14/16: I am now a Senior Editor and Diffusion (Social Media) Editor at Organization Science.
- 09/01/16: Our National Science Foundation grant was funded. We received $919,979 to develop and test a computational theory of online communities (with Robert Kraut at Carnegie Mellon University and Yan Chen and Qiaozhu Mei at University of Michigan).
- 06/10/2016: I ran the 200 mile Madison-Chicago Ragnar Relay with 11 Chinese friends. Here is our Prairie Wolves team picture.
- It is official! I am now an Associate Professor with Tenure at the University of Minnesota. Love my marble apple. :-)
- Together with Bob, Niki, Moira, Haiyi, our work on Designing Online Communities won the SCS Allen Newell Research Award.
- I visited Emory University on March 25 2016.
- I am featured in the Carlson School Series of "Faculty in 5."
- I enjoyed speaking about the sharing economy on a panel with Arun Sundararajan, Natalia Levina, Arvind Malhotra, Michel Avital, Anders Hjalmarsson at the International Conferences on Information Systems in December 2015 in Forth Worth, TX.
- My first YouTube video with Discovery at Carlson on "online groups unlock the secret to productivity and work satisfaction"
- Discovery at Carlson published an article featured my forthcoming Management Science paper.
- I visited Foster School of Business at University of Washington on October 16, 2015.
- I visited New York University Stern School of Business on September 11, 2015.
- My Google Scholar Profile.
- My new site is published!